HP initially aimed to make the Envy printers look good and offered less functionality on the design side. However, the HP Envy 7640 is geared towards making printing affordable unlike its other initial Envy counterparts. You can get the drivers for your printer from 123.hp.com/setup 7640 or 123.hp.com/envy7640 .
It doesn’t come with a built-in memory card slot or sleek scanner glass lids but is very functional otherwise. The print speeds and quality are more than good with the printer clocking in at 8.8 ppm for monochrome printing and 5.2 ppm for coloured printing. The printer also supports duplex printing at a reasonable print speed of 3.9 ppm but doesn’t have an Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) which is alright given the low price tag.
HP also cut costs with the Envy 7640 by using a monochrome control panel that isn’t touch responsive. As for the mode of connection, you can connect the Envy 7640 to your system either using a Wired or a Wireless connection.
123.hp.com/envy7640 – Printer Unboxing
- First, remove the tape covering the flaps of the box and push the flaps gently to the side so that it becomes easier to take out the contents inside.
- Next, remove the cartridges and the power cord. The tri-colour cartridge will have a card attached to it so that it becomes easier for you to pick up the right cartridges when you’re out of ink.
- Now, remove the cardboard covering on top and using the transparent cover with handles, pull the printer out of the box after laying it down on a table or some hard surface so that the installation guides and CD don’t slip away.
- Once you’ve gotten the printer out of the box, remove the Styrofoam caps on the sides of the printer.
- Keep aside the multi-lingual setup and troubleshooting booklet, Installation CD and getting started guide. The Installation CD contains the software drivers for both Mac and Windows. You can also download the drivers from hp.com/setup 7640. Tilt the printer box slightly and slide the printer out of its transparent covering.
- Next, remove all of the tapes and packaging materials that are present on the surface of the printer and inside it.
You’ve now completed unpacking your HP Envy 7640 printer. Keep reading to know how to switch on your printer and install ink cartridges into the paper tray.
123 HP Envy 7640 Initialization
You must switch on the printer before the initialization process. Follow the steps below to switch on the printer and begin the initialization process.
- Take the power cord and remove the twist tie to free it. Connect one end into the rear of the printer and the other end into the wall outlet. Avoid using power strips as they might cause power issues to the printer.
- Now, press the power button on the left side of the printer to switch it on . The printer now makes some noise once. Wait for it to quiet down before beginning the process.
- Once the printer has settled down, it’ll ask you to select a language. Use the arrow buttons on the sides to scroll through the list of languages and select a language. Again, use the arrow buttons to scroll through the list and tap OK once the selection is on Yes.
- In the same way, select the printer location.Next, the printer will ask you to install the ink cartridges. Keep reading to find out how to install the ink cartridges.
123 HP Envy 7640 Ink cartridge Installation
To install the ink cartridges, follow the steps given below
- Using the cutouts on the sides, open the ink cartridge access area.
- Unwrap the tri colour cartridge and remove the orange pull tab covering the electrical contacts and ink nozzles. Don’t touch the electrical contacts or nozzles as this might result in bad electrical connections.
- Open the tri-colour lock lever and insert the cartridge at a slightly downwards angle into the cartridge slot until it firmly locks into place. Make sure that the back edge of the cartridge is under the lock lever.
- In the same way, insert the black cartridge into the slot.
It is necessary to insert the cartridges, load paper and setup the printer wirelessly so that you can download and install the software from 123.hp.com/setup 7640. Once the printer has detected ink cartridges, press Continue to load unused paper into the Paper Tray.
123 HP Envy 7640 Loading Unused Paper
Once you’ve installed the cartridges, wait for the printer to initialize before you can load paper into the Paper Tray. Follow the steps given below to load the paper.
- Pull out the Paper Input Tray and push the paper width guides away from each other.
- Align a stack of papers on a hard surface and insert the stack into the Tray.
- Once the stack is inserted into the tray, adjust the Paper width guides so that they just touch the edges of the stack of paper.
- Slide in the Paper Tray and wait for the printer to print out an alignment page.
This alignment page will tell the printer where to spray the ink on the paper so that the output has the best print quality. This process can take a while. Once the alignment page is printed, you must scan it.
Follow the steps given below to scan the alignment page.
- Open the scanner glass lid and place the alignment page face down on the top right corner of the scanner glass.
- Once the paper is placed on the scanner glass, close the lid of the scanner glass and tap OK to continue with the scanning process.
- The scanning process will take a while to complete. Once the process is complete, the printer will display an alignment successful message on the control panel.
- Tap OK in order to continue with the process.
Next, the printer will ask if you wish to connect it to your system wirelessly or using a Wired connection.
After connecting the printer wirelessly, you can download and install the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup 7640 .
123 HP Envy 7640 Wireless Setup Wizard
The Wireless Setup Wizard acts as a bridge between your system and printer so that you can download and install the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup 7640 or 123.hp.com/envy7640 .
Before you get started with the Installation process, make sure that you have the following items.
- Network Name or Service Set Identifier (SSID).
- Network password, also referred to as the WEP key or WPA passphrase.
- A system that is also connected to the same wireless network as your printer.
Follow the steps given below to setup your Envy 7640 wirelessly
- Make sure that you’ve turned on the printer and computer and connected it to the same wireless network.
- Keep the printer and computer close by so that you don’t run into connection issues.
- Disconnect any USB cables that are connected to the printer. If your printer was connected via USB to your printer, visit the HP website to find out how to change the connection from Wired to Wireless.
- On the control panel of the printer, press the Wireless icon.
- Press the (-) button next to the settings.
- Using the arrow buttons, scroll downwards and select the Wireless Setup Wizard.
- The Wireless Setup Wizard now searches for and displays a list of available wireless networks within the range of the printer.
- Scroll through the names of the network and press OK.
- Next, scroll through the alphabets on the on-screen keyboard and enter the password. Then, press OK to enter the names of the alphabets.
- When you’ve entered the password, scroll down to done and press OK to confirm the password.
- The printer now attempts to connect to the network.
Now, you can download and install the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup 7640 or 123.hp.com/envy7640 .
123 HP Envy 7640 Software Driver Installation
- To download and install the drivers, first go to 123.hp.com/setup 7640 or 123.hp.com/envy7640 and click the Download button.
- Wait for the download to complete. Once the system downloads the HP Easy Start software, click on the file from the browser downloads bar to open it.
- HP Easy Start Utility opens and begins extracting the files required for the installation process.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen to complete the registration process.
- The Software will ask you to choose between full-feature software download and basic feature software download. Choose the full-feature software download so that you can perform more than just the basic functions like printing.
- Read and agree to HP’s terms and conditions when prompted.
- Go back to 123.hp.com/setup 7640 or 123.hp.com/envy7640 (whichever site you downloaded the driver from) to complete the registration and installation.
123 HP Envy 7640 ePrint service
HP’s ePrint service makes sending print jobs to the printer an easy affair. All you have to do is get your HP Envy 7640 registered at the HP Connected center so that you can get your printer’s e-mail address. Next, mail the documents to your printer at the e-mail address HP Connected center assigns to it. Note that you can’t print documents greater than 10 MB . The printer will also discard e-mails without a proper subject line.
Follow the steps given below to setup the ePrint service on your Envy 7640
- Press the ePrint button on the Control Panel of the printer.
- Read and accept the terms and conditions and follow all of the instructions displayed on the screen to enable Web services on your Envy 7640
- Once this is done, the printer will print the ePrint information page. The ePrint information page contains the instructions to setup an ePrint account.
- To send your printer a print job, open the e-mail application on your computer or mobile device so that you can mail the documents to your printer.
- In a new e-mail message, attach the documents that you wish to print.
- Add your printer’s e-mail address in the To line and leave the Bcc line empty. Otherwise, the printer will simply reject the print job.
The ePrint service doesn’t require any additional software drivers except the ones downloaded from 123.hp.com/setup 7640 or 123.hp.com/envy7640 .
123 HP Envy 7640 Wi-Fi Protected Setup
You can go ahead with this Setup only if you’ve already downloaded and installed the software from 123.hp.com/setup 7640. The Wi-Fi Protected Setup is an alternate way to connect your printer to a Wireless network. There are two ways to establish the connection, namely
- Push Button method (PBC)
- Pin Method
- Press the Wireless button on the printer control panel.
- From the printer display, select Settings and then Wi-Fi Protected Setup.
- Press the WPS button on your printer and router to follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
- If your router doesn’t have a WPS button, then select pin and follow the instructions displayed on the screen to connect your printer to the router.
Push Button Method
This method is relatively easy and helps connect your printer to the network very easily.
- Press and hold the wireless button on the printer until the lights start blinking.
- Then, press the WPS button on the router.